Thursday, August 20, 2015

'The Intouchables' is a wonderful movie.


It took me some time before I finally managed to watch this movie called 'Intouchables' that my friend had recommended to me. I had hesitated because I didn't think that a French film could be something that would interest me.

Nevertheless, I finally managed to watch it this week and I have to say the movie really took me by a surprise. Not only did 'Intouchables' work as a drama, it's also one of the funniest movies that I've seen in a long time.

In any case, the film is about a quadriplegic person (Francois Cluzet) and his unlikely, reluctant caregiver (Omar Sy). It's about how these two people with vastly different backgrounds learn to like and respect each other.

At face value the idea of the film isn't necessarily something that one would find that easy to buy or sell. After all, making a movie about the daily life of a seriously handicapped person isn't an easy subject matter at all. 

It's not easy to make an uplifting movie about a person whose life is that difficult, restricted and so full of emotional pain. It's hard to think that it could result in a movie that would make you feel good about life.

Yet this film manages to do exactly that. It manages to respect its characters and its audience. It pays attention to things and dares to care. It makes some really good observations about us and our society's flaws and absurdities.

All the characters in the film are relatable and likable. Not one character in the movie is someone that you would dislike. All of them serve a purpose and almost all of them change for the better - which is what the film is about.

Intouchables teaches us to appreciate all those little things in life. It reminds us that just because things aren't going our way doesn't mean that they can't change for the better. There's always hope and we don't always know when those changes might happen.

As a whole, this is a great film because it's well written, well acted and well directed. It looks good, sounds good and gives you a good feeling inside. 'Intouchables' is the best film that I've seen in years and I'm so lucky that I have finally managed to see it.

1 comment:

  1. Get the best subtitles for the movie The Intouchables on Subwhale without any pop-ups and ads.
    Get it from here: https://subwhale.com/movies/the-intouchables/

    ReplyDelete