Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Dear Lord Argo - some reasons why I haven't written movie scripts.


I have to confess that I didn't watch the Academy Awards last Sunday. I tried, but I fell asleep while watching the red carpet. It was 3 a.m here, so in my defense I was too tired to watch the damn broadcast.

Also in my defense I was so tired that I was able to stomach some of those empty, superficial interviews that no one should probably watch or pay attention to.

Another confession that I have to make is that I haven't really seen those movies that got nominated. The only film that I've seen so far is The Silver Lining Playbook. The movie was okay, but the story didn't make any sense once you got past the first hour.

The dancing stuff didn't feel organic at all. Neither did the bookmaking part. It was just badly written. Yet, the acting was pretty solid and I didn't mind the ending. (didn't encourage me to write though)

So naturally I haven't seen Argo, the movie that won Best Picture. I think I have to watch it this week probably. Nevertheless, even though I can't say anything about the quality of the film, I have read about how little the movie has to do with reality and facts.

Everyone seems to be pissed off, except for the Hollywood elite and the mainstream press. Ben Affleck probably shouldn't be going to Iran anytime soon. Or to Canada.

Again, I haven't seen the movie yet, but what's the point in making a movie that portrays Iranians as evil doers and CIA and Americans as some kind of heroes? Isn't this something that makes the world a worse place than it was yesterday?

Unless it turns out that the movie is super entertaining, I don't see what's the point in making stuff like this. "Yay, golden statues". "Oh well, we're going to bomb iran.."

Now, I'm not saying that they shouldn't give out awards or something like that. It takes a lot of effort to write a 120 page screenplay and to make a movie out of that.

Truth is that it's very hard to write a great script. It's really hard to write something that is riveting and something that entertains the audience and makes us think.

But you should always try to represent honor and dignity. I don't see the point in pissing people off unless you're telling the truth. Argo apparently didn't give a damn about the facts so it wasn't worth the effort.

Telling lies and making people mad simply isn't the best combination that I can think of.  Maybe that's one of the reasons that I haven't managed to write movie scripts yet. Selling out like that...

For me, I don't think there are that many things that are scarier than being a cheat, getting paid for that, and at the same time making the world potentially a more dangerous place to live. Walking on the red carpet after all that would really be too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment