Sunday, September 9, 2018

The importance of learning from your mistakes.

When it comes to one being a writer, it's not exactly a secret that writing is a process that isn't easy to master. It's not a craft that can be mastered easily, even though it's possible to become better at it if you're willing to practice hard enough.

After all, no matter how talented you are, you will always make a lot of mistakes as a writer. No matter how good or experienced you might be, it's pretty much guaranteed that you will always make mistakes in the process.

So the reason that I'm writing about this is that I have been making a lot of these 'mistakes' in my latest writing project. Ever since I started adapting my animated screenplay into a novel, I have been struggling with all kinds of things.

Very likely the biggest problem that I have had with the book adaptation has to do with the story's pacing. It has been a really big challenge to make the story work, so that the novel could actually read like a book instead of it reading like a film script.

By that I mean that when it comes to writing books, the process is certainly different compared to writing television shows or movies. Especially when it comes to exposition in scenes and transitions, there are a lot of differences between these two art forms.

After all, writing books, unlike writing movies or television scripts, is not all about being as simplistic as possible. Writing books - or simply even reading them - requires so much more attention to detail compared to television shows or movies.

Not surprisingly, when it comes to my book, I have learned the hard way that writing dialogue or simply describing events like they are in the film script isn't enough. It takes more to make the scenes and the characters in the story to feel real and believable.

Naturally, this part of the task hasn't been as easy as I had thought at first. It has been super frustrating when I haven't been able to get the pacing and the transitions right, even though I have tried to pay attention to these aspects of the process a lot.

In reality, no matter how much I have tried, some of the problems in the adaptation have been painfully difficult to fix. It hasn't been easy to write inner dialogue, manage timelines and create composite characters so that the story could have a better flow.

Still, just because I have been struggling and making these mistakes, that doesn't meant that this project has been a total letdown for me. Just because it has felt horrible to not get things right, that's not all there is to this process.

After all, whenever I have faced things that haven't gone my way, I have tried to remind myself that just because I keep making mistakes, I can still learn from them. As long as I pay attention to where I went wrong, I can fix these mistakes later.

In that sense, even though I've had my bad days during this project, this has still been a great learning experience for me. This has been a great project, even though there are days when nothing seems to work and you really have to push yourself.

After all, as long as I keep learning and keep fixing these mistakes, eventually I'll get the project done. I'll get the project done and I'll get a chance to work on something new that would challenge me and that could make me a better writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment