Sunday, September 30, 2018

You shouldn't overthink things as a writer.

When it comes to writing, it's not exactly a secret that it's not easy to come up with quality stuff. Writing stuff that makes sense and has value is something that takes a lot of effort and is something that should never be taken for granted.

After all, in order to be able to write quality scripts, you have to work hard and use your precious brain well. You can't slack with your projects and phone things in, no matter how good or capable you might be as a screenwriter.

At the same time, just because writing quality stuff is hard work and is difficult, it shouldn't be something that is too difficult for you. You shouldn't find yourself in situations where you worry about the process too much or you keep overthinking yourself to death.

For example, when it comes to my book writing project (adaptation from a movie script), I was in a lot of trouble because I kept overthinking things all the time. I couldn't see things clearly and I kept freaking out about what I was supposed to do.

The biggest reason for my problems was basically that I had no previous experience in writing a book. I didn't know enough about writing a children's book, even though I knew a lot about writing for television and movies. 

In practice, overthinking stuff lead to me constantly overanalysing and micromanaging things. I worried about things like paragraphs, transitions and character dialogue so much, that at some point I couldn't see the forest for the trees anymore.  

Me worrying and overthinking become so serious that I started to feel that I wouldn't get the project finished. I thought that there was no way that I would get the book completed and that my story wasn't suitable for the adaptation.

Thankfully, at some point I managed to take a break from writing and went back to learning more about the craft. I went back and read books like Enid Blyton's 'Five Series' in hopes that I would get some insights on how to write my book.

Fortunately, it didn't take long before I noticed that reading these children's books helped me immensely. I noticed that I had been panicking in most cases for no reason at all and that I had actually been doing the right things all along.

After all, even though I had worried about everything, I noticed that I could get away with a lot of things. Things like my scene transitions weren't actually that bad and my dialogue for the characters was pretty solid too.

In that sense, when you think about overthinking, it's clear that the process has a lot to do with  experience (or the lack of it). It's about feeling insecure of yourself and not having confidence in how things are supposed to be done.

After all, if you don't know enough about the basics of writing novels, it's no surprise that you're going to feel uncomfortable about the craft. You're going to start panicking and overthinking everything, no matter how talented you might be.

In the end, I can only be grateful that in my case I managed to take a break from writing and went back to learn more about the craft. I can only be grateful that I noticed that I was micromanaging everything and that I was starting to feel awful about myself.

After all, even though I had a lot of experience as a writer, the fact that I hadn't written books or even read that many of them made my project so vulnerable. My lack of experience as novel writer wasn't a good thing at all.

In that sense, if you ever decide to write a book, you really should study the basics first as well as possible. You should study the basics and make sure that you feel comfortable about your genre before you start your writing.

After all, the more you know about the craft, the easier it becomes to get the project done. The more you know about how the basics and the fundamentals work, the easier it becomes to complete a project that has value and that makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment