Wednesday, May 25, 2016

'Uncharted 4: Thief's End' is a great game.

I don't usually get excited about almost anything in life, but yet I was very excited to finally get my hands on Playstation's 'Uncharted 4: Thief's End'. This long awaited game was the reason that I had bought my Playstation in the first place.

Like so many others, I decided to purchase Uncharted 4 the day that it was officially released. I wasn't going to wait for it come to on sale, because when it came to this specific game, I wanted to get the chance to play it right away. 

In any case, I started playing it like two weeks ago and finished it yesterday. It took me something like between fifteen to eighteen hours of casual gaming, before I got the single player story-mode completed last evening.

As usual, I didn't want to rush it that much, because in my opinion there's no point in playing through games too fast. What's the point in playing the game in a hurry, when you can instead enjoy it in small doses and pay attention to what's going on?

Fortunately, even though I had a lot of expectations for Uncharted 4, this installment didn't disappoint me.  When it came to the quality of the game as a whole, it delivered and pretty much gave me what I had expected from it.

In my opinion, perhaps the best thing about Uncharted 4 is that most of the time it looks incredibly good. I haven't really seen a game at least on Playstation 4 that looked as good and ran as smoothly as this one did.

I also liked the storytelling elements in Uncharted 4 pretty much as much as I had expected. In most instances the story was relatively plausible and I was interested in knowing what what was going on with the characters and their motivations.

Of course, that's not to say that there weren't any problems within the game or the way the story was told.  There were a couple of moments where it was somewhat obvious that the writers probably should have done things differently.

For example, Nathan going to save his brother (in chapter 20 or so) felt a bit forced when his helpers had to leave him behind. I felt that the writers should have used something else than the weak 'carriage falling behind' solution.

Also, the final boss fight that occurred a bit later also felt a bit undercooked storywise. I thought that the motivation was somewhat missing when it came to the bad guy and that something else should have happened instead.

When it comes to actually playing the game and its characters, there were certain problems in Uncharted 4 that one has to mention too. Some of these inevitable compromises tended to frustrate a nitpicker like me at least a bit.

For example, at least in my opinion, just like in the previous installments, there's too much repetition. There are too many opponents to kill and there's just way too much climbing involved that you have to do over and over again.

Also, there's a lot of stuff in the game that seems to be wildly over the top. There's just no way that 'in real life' these pirates would have been able to build that much stuff where they did and there's no way those awesome puzzles could exist either.

Yet, these problems - or compromises - at least in my view play a relatively small part in the Uncharted series. Clearly the positives outweigh the negatives when it comes to judging the quality of the game as a whole.

In the end, my opinion is that if you have a Playstation 4 console, 'Uncharted 4: Thief's End' is pretty much a must purchase. I recommend it to everyone who's even remotely interested in playing adventure & action games. 

At least in my opinion, not only does 'Uncharted 4: Thief's End' look and sound really good, but it's also a game that has relatable characters, is relatively well written and manages to keep you entertained from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment