Tuesday, June 3, 2014

South Park: The Stick of Truth is an awesome game.

Even though I play a lot of online role playing games - and even though I am one of those "server first" guys - in my opinion I'm not that big of a gamer myself.

Truth to be told, I don't get that easily excited about new games. I also don't pay enough attention to what gets released and when. Therefore it wasn't very likely that I would try South Park - The Stick of Truth.

Nevertheless, for some reason I managed to get a hold of this game. So once I got it, I had to give the game a chance since it was written by the almighty Trey Parker & Matt Stone duo.

Since this blog is mostly about television writing and storytelling, I don't think there's much point in reviewing the combat system or how the classes work. Nor is there much point in talking about the equipment, gearing, skill trees and such.

Although, all those things do work pretty well. The game is nicely put together and at least the pc version didn't have any bugs or glitches. Technically speaking I don't think you could ask for much more.

Now, what makes the game so good is that it's so well written. The storytelling in Stick of Truth is top-notch. In my opinion, story-wise this is one of the best if not the best game that I have ever played.

The premise for the story itself is pretty simple. In South Park's role playing world, villains have stolen the stick of truth that controls everything in the universe. You as our hero need to get it back.

This is what gets the whole thing going. Naturally things will quickly escalate and soon you'll meet all kinds of obstacles and problems that need to be taken care of and solved.

For example, you need to win the trust of the girls and the goths. You need to do *something* at the abortion clinic, show the aliens who's the boss and you also need to take an exploration tour inside Mr. Slaves rectum too.

Fortunately, you don't have to survive in these adventures by yourself. You can always choose a helper by you side, whether that is Cartman, Kyle, Kenny, Butters, Stan or Jimmy. They all have their unique skills that will help you to survive.

Besides our guys there are other interesting characters in this game too; we have the usual suspects, Al Gore, Terrence & Phillip, Chef, Mr. Mackey, Randy Marsh, Jesus, Nazi zombies, leprechauns and ..even girls.  All provide good laughs.

In retrospect I almost can't believe how many times I smiled or laughed while I played the game. The story not only is totally outrageous but at the same it's full of relevant social satire and great observations.

Altogether South Park - The Stick of Truth provides like 20 hours of solid game play. In my opinion the game length is just about right although  some players thought the game is a bit too short,

All in all, this is a really wonderful game and shows how talented Trey Parker & Matt Stone are. The game is a parody / tribute to the whole role playing genre and should make almost everyone happy. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment