Sunday, May 4, 2014

Everyone hates movie screenwriters (it's easier to be a tv writer).

I checked the reviews for Lego: The Movie. Based on what I read I decided to watch this film. After all, its 8.2 Imdb.com rating and 96% fresh on rottentomatoes.com was enough to convince me to give it  a chance.

For once I thought this could be a watchable movie. Nevertheless, when all was said and done, as a whole Lego: The Movie wasn't any good. It was really bad to be honest.

Naturally, after I finished watching it, I checked its message boards where some people had big problems with it. This of course wasn't really surprising, since every movie obviously has its detractors. But they were angry like I was. The movie and its script made no sense.

In a way I think I should be mad at the critics, who gave this bad movie such high marks. I could also blame those regular folks who gave it a high rating - 8.2 on imdb.com is so good that there's no way the film could be that bad. But it turned out to be.

Yet, in the end I won't be blaming either the critics or the general audience. Instead, like many others, I'm pretty unhappy with those who were responsible for writing this crappy movie.

Those guys who got the writing credit just didn't know what they were doing.  This movie really made me feel mad at them, whether that feeling is justified or not. The script for this movie was just so screwed up.

Because of movies like these, people don't respect film writers anymore. Generally speaking it's really hard to find film scribes that are not hated or reviled (the late John Hughes is one of the very few that people looked up to).

In comparison, when it comes to television writers, things are a bit different. I think most people don't have that negative feelings towards them. The attitudes aren't that hostile, even though quality-wise we're pretty much talking about the same thing.

Just think about writers like Dan Harmon, Seth McFarlane and Chuck Lorre. None of these guys have a clue how to put together a script. Yet, there are loads of people who think they're even awesome. "Dan Harmon is soo great", even though he isn't.

Nevertheless, people don't respect film writers, so in many ways writing movies seems like a scary idea.  I myself like the idea of being liked. I like the idea that people would think that you're a fairly honest and a kind person. Not that you're a totally useless p.o.s.

So what I'm asking is, what's the point in writing movie screenplays? Is there a point? What's there to win? To me it seems like there's no real upside to being a film writer anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment