Wednesday, November 14, 2018

'Incredibles 2' was a pretty disappointing movie.

When it comes to watching movies, I don't usually have high expectations for most films that are out there. In most cases I tend to keep my expectations relatively low, so that I wouldn't get too disappointed when I see these movies. 

The only exception to this 'rule' is when we're talking about animated films. In these cases I know that most of the time I'm going to see a fairly solid, well made movie that is going to entertain me and keep me happy. 

So naturally, when I was about to watch an animated film called 'Incredibles 2' last week, I knew there was a good chance that I was going to like it. The movie had gotten great reviews and the first one in the franchise had been pretty okay too.

Unfortunately, when it comes to this second film, I have to say that I did not like it that much. Even though most critics gave the film a positive review (94% at rottentomatoes.com), I had a really hard time enjoying the movie.

The biggest reason that I didn't like 'Incredibles 2' had to do with the film's story. The screenplay for the movie was really weak and didn't warrant its almost two hour running time (2 hours and 5 minutes with credits).

By that I mean that there simply wasn't much of a story in the movie. The main storyline, in which the mother character becomes a reality star in order to 'save' the heroes and make them legal, was just too weak and didn't go anywhere.

In reality, pretty much all the story beats in the movie were severely lacking. Especially then ones that happened after the film's catalyst - when the family moves in to the producer's house - were genuinely terrible and awful.

For example, the subplot in which the father - 2nd act's 'fun & games' beat - parenting their kids was super tired and even sexist. There was no fun at all in this storyline, which didn't really seem to have any point whatsoever.

The other pretty terrible arc in the movie had to do with the scenes involving their daughter. The subplot with the daughter and her 'boyfriend' felt really half baked and was just badly written (especially the 'Men in Black' stuff).

Still, the weakest part of the movie had to do with the main storyline involving the family mother trying to catch the 'hypnotizer' villain. This was merely a collection of haphazard sequences, where we tried to find out who the bad guy was.

What was especially bad about this storyline was the identity of the villain. The mandatory villain being the producer's sister made so little sense that I more or less wanted to throw random objects at my television screen.

After all, even after the villainess gave a long monologue to the mother about her 'motive' (she hated super heroes), the stuff made no sense at all. It was simply shocking how amateurishly the story arc was written in the film.

In that sense, when you think about the movie as a whole, it's unfortunate that this was the best that the writers of the film were able to do. This was the best that they were able to come up with fourteen years after the first film premiered.

After all, as far as I can remember, the first 'Incredibles' movie was a rather well made animated film. The first one was a solid depiction of a family trying to balance their lives between being a normal family and a family of super heroes.

On the other hand, when it comes to this new movie, 'Incredibles 2' turned out to be a pretty big disappointment. It didn't manage to bring anything new to the table that would have made me care about the film or its characters.

On the contrary, pretty much all this film did was recycle tired ideas that we've all seen before. It put out half-baked story ideas that weren't good enough and that didn't have enough energy to keep us interested in what was going on.

In that sense, if you haven't yet seen 'Incredibles 2' yet, you might not want to see it. At the very least you shouldn't be getting your hopes up and think that this is going to be an awesome movie that is going to keep you entertained.

After all, despite the film's critical praise, there were too many flaws in the film. These flaws, like the movie being too long and the focus being all over the place, were mistakes that were too serious and that at least in my case, prevented me from enjoying the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment