Saturday, June 9, 2018

How to manage your writing routines?

Over the last week or so, I've been  working on my latest writing project. I've been adapting my animated movie screenplay into a book, which has turned out to be a more demanding task than I had thought at first.

After all, even though I haven't spent that much time translating the script on a daily basis, it's still been exhausting to keep going. It takes an emotional toll to relive the story, especially considering that the translating process is so slow.

Nevertheless, when it comes to getting this project done, the most important part in the process has had to do with routines. It's absolutely crucial to write on a steady basis and that you write even when you don't feel like doing that.

So when it comes to me setting up my routine for the project, I managed to come up with a daily goal that was both realistic and not too demanding. I set myself a goal that I knew I could do without hurting myself in the process.

Since I wasn't in a hurry, I thought that perhaps thirty days or so would be a fairly realistic estimate for the project. I thought that I would be able to find myself enough time to handle three or so pages per day and that it wouldn't be too much.

What made this project so special is that unlike with my previous projects, this time I was willing to give myself some leeway. I thought that it would be enough if I'd only write during the weekdays and not during the weekends.

After all, since I had already written the original screenplay that included that characters and the storylines, I wouldn't have to stress that much about the adaptation. The 'hardest' part had already been done with the story.

Still, this was not an easy decision, because in every other project before this one, I had always written every day. I had never taken any days off from writing, since I was so afraid that I would stop writing and give up if I'd take a day off.

In that sense, when it comes to managing your projects, it's really that crucial that you know how important it is to have writing routines. It's crucial that you know how demanding and how much creativity is expected from you.

After all, if you're dealing with a project that requires a lot of creativity, you should be aware of how much it takes to get things done. You can't take anything for granted, which means that that you need to be prepared.

Especially if you're not used to writing a full length screenplay, you should write every single day. You should do everything in your power to make sure that you meet your daily quotas and reserve enough time for the process.

In the end, even though there's no guarantee that you'll manage to write a great screenplay, it would be unfortunate if the only reason that you didn't write that script was that you didn't have a writing routine and gave up because of that.

After all, it doesn't really require that much to be able to write every day. You just have to make sure that you're prepared every single time and that you know that you have enough time to get in the zone before you start writing.

In that sense, even though in my case I haven't really enjoyed working on the task, that is still not going to stop me from getting the job done. I'm not going to give up just because I don't feel like writing and because I feel like I'd rather do something else.

On the contrary, the reason that I'll get the project done is because I'll stick to my writing routine. I'll stick to my writing routine and make sure that no matter what happens, I'll keep writing and I won't stop before I've finished the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment