Friday, March 16, 2018

Taking another look at shows that I didn't enjoy.


When it comes to most television shows, in most cases it's fairly easy to say that the series in question isn't any good. In most cases you can tell almost right away that a show isn't any good and that you shouldn't waste your time watching it.

After all, most shows tend to be so bad that they have no redeeming qualities about them. They are so bad that you have to wonder what the writers and producers were thinking when they decided to come up with them in the first place.

Still, sometimes when you watch these shows, the truth is that you aren't able to 'get' them right away. In some cases - whether we're talking about comedy or drama - it might take a while before you start appreciating them and find them to be well made.

So knowing this, I decided to check back on some of those shows that I either didn't like or didn't find to be entertaining enough. I decided to check whether some of these television shows could actually be worth my time this time.

The first series that I decided to give a second chance is sci-fi series 'Star Trek: Discovery' that airs on CBS All Access. This was the show that I couldn't stomach at all when I watched its first two or three episodes last fall.

The reason that I didn't like the show was that it had nothing to do with the original Star Trek. Unlike the original shows that were about hope, benevolence and humanity, this relaunch was all about confrontation, darkness and bellicosity.

So after I managed to give this show another chance (S1E13), it has to be said that things hadn't really changed for the better. I didn't manage to find a single good thing about this series that would have made me appreciate it this time either.

As sad as it is, none of the characters were relatable or likable in the episode that I watched. Our main character Michael Burnham (a female character) was still a sociopathic warmonger who wasn't able to control her emotions at all.

In that sense, it's safe to say that I can stick to watching 'The Orville' instead and not worry about 'Star Trek: Discovery' possibly getting better. There's no reason for me to start watching a series that is a disappointment in almost every possible way. 

The second television series that I decided to give another look is NBC:s comedy series 'The Good Place'. This is a show that I also found to be extremely lacking when it comes to its premise, characters and overall execution.

After all, when I watched the series the first time, I found it to be almost unbelievably juvenile. It felt as if the show about 'a bad person in heaven' was written by preteens who had no clue about life and had nothing meaningful to say about anything.

So when I gave the show another chance and watched the first episode of the show's second season, things unfortunately hadn't gotten any better. 'The Good Place' was still as dumb, unfunny and pointless as it had been in season one.

As unfortunate as it is, not only was the series still irrelevant and awful, it had even retooled its concept. The producers had decided that unlike in season one, the characters were actually in hell this season, which reeks of desperation.

Overall, even though television critics say that the second season is awesome, in reality the producers of the series have no clue what they're doing. They don't know what they're doing, so there's no reason for me to continue watching this show.

Finally, the third and the last series that I decided to give a second chance is HBO's popular 'Game of Thrones'. This a series that I had trouble watching, because I found it to be too violent and because the narrative in it was too fragmented.

By that I mean that when I first watched it, I thought that there were too many characters and too many storylines on the show. I felt that there wasn't anything going on that would have made me care about what happened to these characters.

Still, once I decided to give the series another chance, it has to be said that I have kinda learned to enjoy 'Game of Thrones'. There are certainly redeeming features in it that have given me a reason to watch it every once in a while.

After all, the series does look good and the production values in it are really high. There's no denying that a lot of actual effort has gone into making sure that the show would look as good and as authentic as possible.

In the end, even though it's probably not as good as some say it is, it's not as bad as I had thought at first. It's certainly better than so many other shows on television that have no potential at all and that are completely awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment