Friday, January 2, 2015

Things that I might do this year as a writer.

So, I happened to take a two week break from writing. Since Christmas was coming, I thought that I'd deserve to do something else than to update this blog. Writing forty-five articles last year wasn't that bad of an accomplishment - it was my personal record.

Now that I'm trying to get back to writing something - that is, trying to be me - I'm noticing that taking that Christmas break didn't really help. Going on a hiatus made me feel a bit confused and empty. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do now.

In any case, I'm trying to establish a writing routine and I think I'm supposed to think a bit and draw some initial plans for 2015. Am I just going to keep updating this blog about screenwriting - or am I going to do something else too?

I think one thing that I need to keep in mind is that even if I do nothing else than just write here and try to teach you and myself something about writing, that too has some value. I mean, some of the stuff that I wrote last year was at least in my opinion really good.

But what should I do if I'm going to write something else than articles for this blog? Could I write another spec for an existing television show? Could I write a movie script? Perhaps I could write a spec pilot for tv too.

So let's start with existing shows. When it comes to writing these specs, I think I have to keep in mind that I already wrote four The Big Bang Theory specs, three Modern Family specs and two Boston Legal specs. I learned at lot from those, probably enough already.

I could also write movie scripts this year too, but the problem is that just about every movie that was released last year was simply awful. I don't want to write another bad one that - if produced - would just make people angry as hell.

That leaves me with writing a spec pilot. It's not exactly a secret that I detest most shows that are currently on tv. I also haven't figured out yet how to write a tv pilot either. But that doesn't change the fact that I like television much more than I like movies.

So the question becomes, is it possible that I could come up with a great spec pilot? Considering the fact that last years have been horrible for new network shows, there's definitely room for quality tv. Very few are happy about the state of today's television.

The truth is that there are so many people looking for something better - and the network executives are apparently getting desperate too. So perhaps I should try my luck and try to come up with a pilot script. It won't be easy but I guess I'm finally up for something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment