Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Combining work and writing isn't easy.

So when it comes to my life and how things have gone lately, it can be said that at least work-wise, things have been pretty good. I got an extension to my contract at our school and will be spending the upcoming fall season with my students too. 

Indeed, even though it seemed that there were going to be some budgets cuts that would affect our staff, those thankfully didn't happen. Our city managed to find extra funding for the students that wanted to take part in our afternoon classes, so my job is safe for now. 

At the same time, even though 'work-wise' things have gone well, it has to be said that as a writer, I haven't been as productive as I thought I would be. Despite my intentions, I haven't been able to meet all my quotas that I had set for myself lately.

For example, when I started working on my new book project, it didn't take that long before I noticed that it would likely be too much work to write it as a side project. Even though I did some stuffs with it, it turned out to be too demanding. 

Blog-wise, over the last few weeks I also lacked energy to write enough articles (lack of ideas to write about). Since I was worrying about the extension of my contract and some stuff about my personal life, it was difficult to concentrate on the blog (it's great therapy for me though). 

Creatively speaking, the biggest challenge has been that ever since I started working with kids, this job has been - even though I enjoy it - rather demanding. The job, even though 'only' five hours a day during weekdays, can be rather involving and emotionally draining.

Indeed, when you work with kids that require your attention (issues like Adhd, language barriers, super sensitivity, selective mutism etc.), it's just something that takes your energy. It consumes me, especially considering that I'm an introverted person (although socially talented). 

In contrast, now that I've been on a vacation for two days, I've noticed that things are different already. I feel that I'm becoming my 'normal' self, have tons free time and don't have to worry about things, which gives me so much more energy to do creative stuff.

After all, even though I have already done some preparation for the fall season (read a special ed teacher's master thesis) and visited old friends at a foundation, I feel different. I feel that I can concentrate on having a writer's identity and start writing bigger stuff again.

In that sense, now that I'm on vacation for the next 8 or 9 weeks, I can only hope that I'll be able to get back to my book writing project. Hopefully I'll be able to progress with it and come up with a solid structure that would eventually lead to a good story.

After all, even though it won't be an easy project to come up with an entertaining story in only two months or so, it's not something that is impossible to do. I shouldn't be thinking that I won't be able to do 'enough' during that time as a writer.

On the contrary, if I manage to get a solid structure that makes sense from start to finish, that's what matters the most. It's the hardest part of the equation and if I manage to do that, the rest I can 'brute force' as a side project when I get to back to work in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment