Thursday, January 12, 2017

Looking back at last year & what to do this year.

When it comes to summing up last year's events, not all things went exactly as one might have expected. 2016 as a whole, not only could have been a better year for myself, but it could have been a better year for others too.

Below I'll try to list some of the things that were important to me and that in my opinion are worth sharing about 2016. Some of these things that happened aren't that good but not everything went totally wrong last year.

🔼 When it comes to me, almost certainly the best thing about last year is that I managed to start running again. Even though I was pretty sure that I would never be able to do heavy exercises again, I have now been regularly running 4-5 times a week.

🔼 Just like last year, I managed to write 48 articles on this site that hopefully were entertaining and informative. It took a lot of serious work (700+ hours) and I'm fairly happy that I managed to have a solid writing routine.

🔽 Unfortunately, I didn't manage to write a movie screenplay in 2016, even though it had clearly been a goal for myself. It turned out be a lot harder to come up with a solid & a potential premise than I had thought at first.

🔼 The upside to this is that after a lot of procrastination, I did finally start the project late last year. This time consuming task is going to take a lot of work and probably a lot of help from others is going to be needed.

🔼 I managed to show at least some initiative after entering a television writing competition with my Modern Family spec. This slightly revised script, in my opinion, was good enough to win any competition that's out there.

🔽 Unfortunately, when it came to this contest, it turned out that I had wasted 60$ of my precious money. I didn't even make through the first qualifying round, which just goes to show that most writing competitions simply aren't legit.

🔼 I also showed some initiative when I tried to get a 'real' writing job at Remedy gaming. I thought it would be smart to give these guys a chance, especially considering that I live only like 10 minutes away from the company headquarters.

🔽 Unfortunately, those in charge of games like Alan Wake and Quantum Break didn't [even] write me back. This was one of the biggest disappointments of the year and I can't exactly say that it encouraged me to try harder.

🔜 In any case, when it comes to this new year, I know that I should probably try a bit harder than I did in 2016. Even though I did spend considerable amount of time writing stuff, I could have done a lot more too.

🔜 Hopefully, this year I'll be able to come up with a steady writing routine for my other projects. I should be able to dedicate at least a certain amount of time every week so that I could keep going further with my script.

🔜 I will also try to do my best when it comes to updating this writing blog. Even though it's true that there are times when I don't know what to write about and that I sometimes tend to get frustrated, I still love publishing articles here.

🔜 All in all, I really hope that 2017 is going to be a solid year as a whole. I hope that I'm going to be prolific as a writer and that I'll be able to come up with stuff that is not only going to be good enough for myself, but good enough for others too.

No comments:

Post a Comment