Sunday, July 10, 2016

The need to show how good you are as a writer.

A couple of days ago I decided that since I didn't have anything better to do, I could perhaps check what kind of writing competitions there were out there. I thought that it wouldn't hurt to see whether some new competitions had popped up lately.

The reason I was somewhat curious about competitions was because I had a script that I had thought about submitting. In my opinion, one of my Modern Family scripts was just too good not to be evaluated by professional reviewers.

So as I kept searching for contests, it didn't take more than a couple of minutes, before I noticed that 'Final Draft' had a new competition. Their writing contest also had a category for my Modern Family script too.

To make things even more interesting for me, this was a competition that was still open for submissions. If I was willing to pay a late entry fee, I would be able to take part as long as I would submit before July 15th this year.

So knowing that there was still time to enter, I couldn't really resist the temptation and decided to give the competition a shot. I thought that pretty much anything could happen and that I wouldn't really have that much to lose anyway.

After all, the worst thing that could happen is that I wouldn't get back the money that I would spend to enter the competition. That wouldn't really be the end of the world and wouldn't get me too depressed either.

In any case, when it comes to the script that I submitted, I do have to confess that the spec isn't actually 'new'. That is because this Modern Family script was written almost three years ago when I still had the motivation to write for television.

The reason that I wanted to send it now is that last time I rushed it to a competition and I wasn't prepared. Even though the script did place in the contest, I hadn't made sure that there wouldn't be any problems with it.

This time however, I'm fairly confident that the script is potentially good enough to win the competition. In my opinion, this script shows me at my very best as a writer and shows what I'm capable of when I bring my A-game.

In any case, I'm going to keep you updated when it comes to the competition. There should be some news about the spec's progress in a couple of months, since 'Final Draft's' first qualifying round is going to be in September.

All in all, I'm definitely feeling optimistic about my chances in the competition. Perhaps this could finally be the moment when I'll have my lucky break, even though I've learned to expect the worst when it comes to contests like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment