Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Some reasons why one becomes a writer.

So what are the reasons why someone should think of becoming a writer? I'm trying to post here some of the reasons that - at least in my opinion - made me become a writer. I hope that these are somewhat good reasons to become a scribe:

1) There's a good chance that you're better than most writers.

This is one of the best reasons that one should become a writer. It's not a secret that most - even working - writers are not that good. So if you're much, much better than your average professional, you probably should think of becoming a writer yourself.

Notice however that this is only a 'reason' to become a writer. It's another thing to get motivated and to have a compelling need to start writing, which usually takes a bit more effort and luck. Not surprisingly, I myself didn't start writing right away.

2) Even your hero writers are going to retire / pass away some day.

This is one of the things that you shouldn't forget. As far as I know, even my personal hero David Kelley isn't going to live forever. One day he is going to retire and then someone else needs to step up to the plate and deliver the goods.

In my case I believed pretty strongly that there weren't that many guys on the planet who were capable of replacing him and that I was probably one of them. So I had an even bigger reason to start writing and stop postponing.

3) "At some point you'll go crazy if you don't start writing".

I don't know about you, but at least in my case, depression, anxiety and panic attacks pretty much forced me to start writing. I had to give it a chance, otherwise I would have gone totally crazy. I had no choice but to write.

Although, to be honest, it did help a lot that I was being encouraged by others who told me that I should try writing  It really helps when people believe in you and actually care. I'm grateful that I wasn't completely alone.

4) Finishing a screenplay / book / blog post etc. makes you feel good.

There's a reason why mental health professionals recommend that people with psychological issues should write stuff (like for example keep a diary). Writing really helps and gives us a chance to connect with our inner child.

As far as I know, finishing a script gives you one of the best feelings there is. It makes you feel that you have created something genuine and real. It gives you a sense of eternity that no amount of money can buy.

5) There's a chance that you can make others happy too.

I'm not saying that writing stuff doesn't have anything to do with trying to make a living. At the same time, it's not all about the money or being competitive or trying to win awards. Those shouldn't be the sole reasons why one wants to become a writer.

At least when it comes to me, writing is about trying to make sense out of the chaos that is around us. It's about trying to connect with others and giving them hope, that we're in this together and that things are going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment