Monday, March 9, 2015

I Can't Wait to Get to Play Uncharted 4.

The biggest reason that I managed to buy Playstation 4 last December was because at some point I would be able to play Uncharted 4: A Thief's End on it. For me this game is likely the one that I've been  anticipating the most. 

But why do I get excited about Uncharted 4? After all, it's not exactly a secret that I'm the kind of person that tries not to get excited about anything. In my opinion, the less you get excited about things, the less in general you're going to get disappointed and suffer in life.

In any case, one of the reasons that I'm excited is because I have always liked adventure games. I grew up playing games like Sierra's King's Quests, Leisure Suit Larrys and Space Quests. I also was a fan of games like Secret of The Monkey Island.

Another reason is that I'm a fan of storytelling and appreciate the craft of writing. Even though it takes a massive amount of effort and talent to create a game that looks good and is technically well made, I respect good storytelling even more.

With Uncharted series it's obvious that the producers of the game have tried to pay as much attention as possible to the storytelling aspects. Even though the game looks and sounds beautiful, the storylines in the series have been really solid too.

But it's not just that. I also like Uncharted and other games because I get to participate myself. Unlike with television and movies, there's much more interaction. You get to be a part of the experience. You get to control your own destiny (to some extent).

You get to meet some new and old characters. You get to solve problems. You try to find a long lost treasure and try to unravel a conspiracy. Perhaps you get to shoot some bad guys (definitely) and perhaps you'll fall in love too. 

Other than that, for me, playing games, unlike with television, is about having fun. I don't pay that much attention to the flaws. They aren't usually that obvious or significant. For me games are a much more forgiving medium.

I don't quit playing a game like I quit watching tv shows. I don't hold a grudge against the creators of a certain game. Unlike when it comes to tv, I don't feel that the producers should sometimes be sent to a mental institution or that they should just go home and die. 

I'm playing these games so that I could relax and that I could have my moments of zen. I'm simply playing to have a great time - and based on how the previews for Uncharted 4: A Thief's End look, it's going to be one helluva ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment