Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Recapping last year and things to do this year.

When it comes to my activities as a writer last year, I think it's pretty safe to say that 2017 was a pretty good year for me. I managed to exceed my expectations when it comes to getting things done and not giving up.

Especially when it comes to finishing my first movie screenplay, I managed to surpass my expectations. I didn't expect that I would be able to complete a movie script after having not been able to finish one before.

So when it comes to this year, since I wrote my movie script, my priorities as a writer are probably going to be a bit different. I don't have to stress about writing another full length screenplay or that I'm not good enough as a writer.

When it comes to doing stuff this year, the biggest priority is to get something done with my story. I'm trying to get my animated script 'Valerie and The Girl' sold at least in some form - book or a movie - over the course of the year.

The easiest way to achieve this is likely by contacting all the publishing companies in my country. I'll contact them and figure out whether these major publishes would be willing to buy the rights to the story in print form.

After all, when it comes to the script, it's a story that should be adaptable fairly easily. It should be pretty easy to take the premise, the characters and the storylines in the screenplay and adapt it to a children's book.

Especially considering that there is a huge demand for children's stories, it shouldn't be an unrealistic goal to make something out of the script. There's no reason why it couldn't be sold and why it couldn't become popular in a book form.

Of course, just because I'm offering the screenplay to different publishing companies doesn't mean that I've given up on trying to get the story produced as an animated film. I'm not saying that I'm giving up on that goal.

After all, the screenplay almost certainly works best as an animated stop-motion film. It's written in a way that utilizes things that cannot be used in literature, like visuals, music, sounds and other forms of artistic expression.

Still, even though I'm hoping to get it produced as a movie, I shouldn't forget that offering the script to publishers is likely the easiest way to go. It's the fastest way to get things done and to get some 'name recognition'.

In that sense, when it comes to things to do this year and to my project, I can only hope that I'm going to be able to stay persistent. I hope that I'll have the courage and the stamina to keep going and to keep contacting people.

After all, if I want to get results this year as a writer, I have to get out of my bubble and try to market myself at least a bit. I have to find a way to not be afraid of getting rejected and stop being happy with things as they are.

In the end, it's not enough to write a good movie screenplay and leave it at that. It's not enough to think that as long as you managed to write a great script, that's all that it takes and you don't have to do anything else.

On the contrary, becoming a success takes more than just being happy with things as they are. It takes more than thinking that if things don't work out for you right away, you can stop trying, give up and call it quits.

No comments:

Post a Comment